Default lineup: 5 members
5 Piece: Caller, Piano, Accordian, Fiddle and Percussion.
* 3 and 4 piece band also available.
* Vibrant, lively ceilidh band based in Somerset.
* Highly accomplished group of musicians.
* Experienced caller sensitive to the occasion will hand pick dances to reflect mood and ability of audience.
* Musicians who can double up on other instruments for greater diversity of sound.
* PA can be used for disco by arrangement.
* Energetic lively and enjoyable afternoon/ evening guaranteed.
The Thirty-Nine Steps are one of the few bands outside Scotland which reproduce the true sound /spirit of the Ceilidh by utilising the piano to create the driving rhythms of the dance.
The Thirty-Nine Steps consist of musicians of the highest calibre who came together through their love of ceilidh. Between them they have played with and supported such acts as Jools Holland, Barbara Dixon, Stockton’s Wing, Isla St Claire to name a few, and have played at venues and events to include Salzburg Music Festival, Lyric Theatre Shaftsbury Ave, Liverpool Playhouse, Coulsdon Hall Bristol, Bristol Folk Festival, Hauser and Wirth Art Gallery, Trowbridge Pump Festival, Priddy Folk Festival, Cheltenham Irish Gold Cup Festival and local festivals throughout the SW.
Their pianist, a graduate from The Royal College of music, provides foot stomping, vibrant accompaniment for their accordion and banjo player, two of the most accomplished musicians on the Ceilidh circuit today.
Their Caller, an experienced bodhran player himself, is sensitive to the occasion and will handpick the dances to suit the previous experience of the client He prides himself on his reputation of being able to get people of all ages and abilities onto the floor dancing. So don’t worry if you have never danced at a ceilidh before or you have two left feet, you will be dancing!
The music is essentially traditional Scottish/Irish Ceilidh dance music although they draw from other European styles; some American plus a few very danceable self-penned compositions.
So be prepared for a fun enjoyable experience!