BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE
- OUR INCLUDED COVID COVER
Secure your 2021 / 2022 booking before the 31st January 2021, and if Covid affects your event plans, we will offer 100% deposit credit to be used against a new date.
Set List / Repertoire
A colourful mix of Eastern European and Balkan Gypsy and folk songs and tunes both famous classics as well as unknown treasures…
A Sar Somas
Jai de Szep kek szeme
Csak egy kislany van a vilagon
Jai Souvent Pleure
Minek a szoke ennekem
Zsal O Savo
Kalinka – Katjusha
Moscow at midnight
Hora de la Langesti
Hora de le Risipiti
Czardas and Sapora
PromorocaTravel in Romania
Well-known Virtuoso Gypsy Pieces:
Sisic Fiddle Kolo
Other Gypsy Music:
A Sar Somas
Dui Dui Deso Dui
Me Hum Mato
Nane Cocha Nane Gad
Sila Kale Bal
Balkan Dance Music:
Halinicu Boya Lila
Odessa – Veggy Bulgar
Serbian Fiddle Kolo
Balkan Listening Songs:
More Sokol Pie – Falcon Fly
Default lineup: 5 members
5 piece: violin + vocals, accordian + vocals, guitar, double bass, percussion.
* One of the UK's leading Gypsy ensembles
* Broad repertoire of Gypsy and folk music from Eastern Europe and the Balkans
* Flexible line-up to suit various budgets and venues
* Authentic music with traditional soul and spirit
* Colourful performance and virtuoso music
* Their performance never fails to provide a great atmosphere
* Dancers available
* Fully self contained with PA and lighting available
Gundula Gruen – Violin + Vocals
Paul Tkachenko – Accordion + Vocals
Jeremy Halliwell – Guitar
Brendan Rowley – Double Bass
Tom Wagner – Darbuka + Percussion
Gypsy Magic perform music from Eastern Europe and the Balkans. Their repertoire includes music from Russia; Hungary; Bulgaria; Romania; the former Yugoslavia and beyond. They sing in the original language of each song incuding the Romany language of the Gypsies.
Gypsy performs lively dance pieces as well as atmospheric listening music. Gypsy Magic bring an infectious energy spirit and humour to their shows creating a lively positive atmosphere in which the audience becomes part of the show. Their style is both exuberant and smart; it provides wonderful entertainment for any occasion from casual events and weddings to formal business functions.
Gypsy Magic can perform 3 sets of 45 minutes or provide more flexible set lengths that suit the occasion.
Gypsy Magic can be booked with a Gypsy Dancer for show interludes or with a Balkan Dancer to lead a Balkan Ceilidh for the party guests/ audiences.
Gypsy Magic are also available as a Duo Trio or Quartet offering a range of instrumentation from a choice of;
Vocals; Violin; Guitar; Double Bass; Percussion.
The band is happy to discuss these line up options with the client ensuring the best line up is chosen for the event in question.
Gypsy Magic is lead by virtuoso violinist and singer Gundula Gruen who "…could well have been raised in the Balkans for her playing imparts the true soul of Gypsy music".
After earning a classical concert degree as well as a jazz post graduate degree Gundula travelled across Eastern Europe and the Balkans living with Gypsies and learning their music and traditions first hand. For more than 15 years she has performed internationally at festivals and concerts as well as for private functions and events.
The musicians of Gypsy Magic are highly acclaimed boasting qualifications from the top universities and conservatoires in the UK and the USA. They have received performed concerts conducted workshops and collaborated on a variety of projects to great acclaim.
They appear regularly at festivals culture centres and theatres throughout the UK and Europe. They have appeared in numerous TV productions including the documentary How Music Works on UK’s TV Channel 4 and were featured in the music documentary Farkli Kültur – Ayne Muzik for TRT (Turkish state television).
They have also been guests on radio programmes for the BBC Resonance FM and others.
Previous Venues and Clients (selection):
- Opening Concert at the Canterbury Festival
- Balkan Ceilidh at the Coronation Hall Ulverston
- Concerts at Le Quecumbar Ignite/Royal Albert Hall Relentless Garage London
- Dorchester Art Festival Trowbridge Festival Brigg Fiddle Festival Music Port
- Weddings at Trinity House The Dorchester Hotel Kew Gardens
- Fundraising event at the Royal Court of Justice Hall
- Function at the Flower Hall Covent Garden Opera London
- Performances for the European Culture conference at Tate Modern London and the Roma Conference Birmingham