the world's largest online live music and entertainment booking agencyalive network entertainment agency, live entertainment hire

Customers sign in here Artists sign in here
<< Previous page

How to book a civil ceremony or church wedding

Details of how to go about arranging a civil ceremony or church wedding with the registry office. What you need to know, and who to contact.

Share |

How to book a civil ceremony or church wedding

Civil ceremony
If you wish to marry by civil ceremony, at a register office or other building approved for civil marriage, you will need to contact the superintendent registrar of the district where you wish to marry. You may marry at any register office or approved premises of your choice in England or Wales. However, for a marriage in an approved premise e.g a hotel licensed by the local authority, you will also need to make arrangements at the venue. In addition, you will both need to personally give a formal notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district(s) where you live.

View the current list of approved premises for civil marriage in England and Wales

This list is regularly updated. The information is supplied by the local authority that grants the approval. If you are interested in a venue that is not on the list, please contact the venue or the local authority.

For more information on registering to get married please also see the DirectGov web site >

Church of England or church in Wales
If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church in Wales - and generally you will be able to do so only if you or your partner live in the parish - you should first speak to the Vicar. If he agrees to marry you he will arrange for the Banns to be called on three Sundays before the day of your ceremony or for a common licence to be issued. The marriage will also need to be registered by the Vicar. There is usually no need to involve the local superintendent registrar.

Other places of religious worship
If you wish to marry by religious ceremony other than in the Church of England or Church in Wales you should first arrange to see the minister or other person in charge of marriages at the building. However, the Church or religious building in question must normally be in the registration district where you or your partner live. It will also be necessary for both of you to give formal notice of your marriage to the superintendent registrar of the district(s) where you live. A registrar may also need to be booked from the Register Office in order to register the marriage.

More useful links

Popular party entertainment types

Rock & Pop Live Party Bands
Live Party Bands
From £450 (Avg: £1499)
View function bands >
Rock n Roll Swing Jive Party Bands
Rock n' Roll Bands
From £600 (£1800 avg)
View Rock n Roll bands >
Party Tribute Bands
Tribute Bands
From £400 (Avg: £1350)
View Tribute Bands >
Party Jazz Bands
Jazz Bands
From £150 (Avg: £900)
View Jazz Bands >
Party DJs
Party DJs
From £300 (Avg: £450)
View Party DJs >
Party Magicians
From £250 (Avg: £350)
View Magicians >
Party Caricaturists
From £250 (Avg: £350)
View Caricaturists >
Party Look alikes
Look alikes
From £470 (Avg: £550)
View Look alikes >

Best selling live bands and live entertainment to hire
View our best selling bands to hire and live entertainment. Click the images to view each artist's profile or scroll to view more acts.

Why hire live entertainment from Alive Network?
Alive Network is the UK's premier live music entertainment agency and the largest online entertainment booking service in the world. Established in 1999, we provide high quality live entertainment for over 7500 events per year. We represent hundreds of the UK's very best live bands, DJs & entertainers who are available to hire for weddings, corporate events & private parties.

A few of the benefits of booking through Alive Network Entertainment Agency
  • Alive Network Entertainment Agency Instant online quotes and availability confirmation
  • Professional Entertainment Booking 100's of professional quality, reliable artists
  • Live entertainment hire made easy Fast, friendly, personalised advice from expert staff
  • Amazing live entertainment to hire The easiest way to hire amazing entertainment

A small selection of our previous clients:
  • Live bands to hire UK wide 24 hour emergency cover, 365 days of the year.
  • Secure entertainment booking Safe & secure bookings with comprehensive contracts
  • The UKs largest entertainment agents No worries, no hassles, no dissapointments
  • Alive Network Entertainment Agency The very best customer service
Alive Network Entertainment Agency previous clients

Customer Service
Contact Alive Network
FAQs and help guides
to your customer account
Terms & conditions
Privacy Policy
Find what you're looking for
Wedding music
Wedding ceremony music
Wedding drinks reception music
Wedding entertainment evening
Corporate entertainment hire
Premier range live bands to hire
Low cost live bands (under £1000)

Get to know us
About Alive Network
Artist sign up, how to join Alive Network
Job opportunities at Alive

Useful resources
Booking a band and your venue
Hire a band check list
How to hire a DJ
Party ideas
Site map
Complete artist roster

Registered offices: Ground Floor Suite, Silk Mill Studios, Princess Street, Newcastle under Lyme, Staffordshire, ST5 1DD, United Kingdom
All content (c) Copyright Alive Network 1999-01/09/2016. All rights reserved. Registered Company Number: 04084200

Some artists may appear with the kind co-operation and consent of their respective management companies.

This service is intended for personal use only and no part of the service may be displayed in public, broadcast or used for any business purpose without the consent of Alive Network. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of our services and web content, we accept no responsibility for any use made of the information provided and we shall not be liable for any loss suffered thereby.